Name: Sydney Spiegel
Position: Account Manager - Digital Team
Location: Lubbock, TX
- As an Account Manager, I serve as the main point of contact for all of my clients. When a client needs something, it’s my job to see it through. I’m also in charge of all content strategy – taking the client’s business goals and quarterly objectives and strategically deciding what’s posted to their accounts, while also managing their digital ads (whether that be through Facebook or Google.) It’s a lot of work, but I love how every client and every day is different.
What is your personal background?
- I was born and raised in Lubbock, Texas, and despite hating this town growing up, I love it now! After high school, I spent one year at Abilene Christian University and then transferred to Texas Tech University fall of my sophomore year. I graduated with a Bachelor’s Degree in Advertising in May of 2017. My path to the College of Media and Communications is actually a pretty funny one. My original major in college was Criminal Justice – I had a dream of going to the FBI! It wasn’t until one week in Abilene when a disgusting cricket plague (seriously, there were so many crickets) took over that I started to realize my love for this industry. One night during the plague, I thought it would be funny to make an anonymous Twitter account from the perspective of one of the crickets. That account ended up going “viral” (as viral as a Twitter account with a target audience of a small private college can go) and even made the front page of the school’s newspaper! That experience was so fun and opened my eyes to all that social media has to offer. Two days later I changed my major and never looked back. After graduation, I worked for two years at Redeemer Church here in Lubbock on the Communications Team and then made the transition over to Primitive Social back in May.
How did you get your start at Primitive Social?
- I knew about Primitive Social from a lot of people at my church and I have a couple of friends who work here, too, so those were nice connection points! I reached out to Annie and Kade back in January just letting them know I was interested in a position should something open up, but at the time they didn’t have any open positions for my skill set. In February, I started working as an independent contractor for the web team, just praying that something full-time would open up soon. I was taking any chance I was given to get my foot in the door. Then, one day toward the end of April, my friend Jeter, the Project Manager on the Web team, texted me and said, “Would you be interested in a full-time position at Primitive?” and the rest was history! I met with Annie two days later to discuss the job, had an official interview the day after that, and started my new job a week later. Once the ball got rolling, it all happened very fast, but I wouldn’t change it for anything!
What do you most enjoy most about your role?
- I really love the team I get to work with! I’m surrounded by talented and knowledgeable people who encourage me to push myself outside of my comfort zone every day. I feel like I thrive most in my role when I’m able to strategize and problem solve in order to get a client’s social media or ad performance to meet the goals we have set.
What is the most challenging part of your work?
- Social media is an awesome tool, but it can be very unpredictable. It’s challenging when we have an intended goal for a client’s social media that isn’t being met. Some posts don’t perform like we would expect, while another post that we might not have had a lot riding on performs super well. You might be able to control who your content reaches, but you can’t control how the audience responds. Having to be strategic and adjust gameplans accordingly can be challenging, but it’s also a lot of fun.
How would you describe Primitive Social in only three (3) words?
- Fast-paced (Webster's Dictionary says that’s one word.)
What is the best gift you’ve ever received?
- For my 23rd birthday, my parents got me round-trip plane tickets to New York City! I had never taken a solo trip and spending time alone in a city so big was very empowering.
What does a typical day look like for you?
- I wake up at 6:15 a.m., have coffee and read my Bible, get ready for work while watching The Office, and get into the Primitive Social office around 8:00. My days at work vary, but I can always expect to have a few meetings and then client work. After work, I go workout, then usually hang with friends, read, or watch TV!
What do you like to do when not at the office?
- I love to hang with friends, play games with my family, work out, watch The Office, listen to true crime podcasts, and read!
What does your workspace look like?
- I haven’t decorated it! I should probably get on that. Right now there’s a notepad, some headphones, and two pens. I think it needs a plant.
What were your favorite snack and favorite TV show when you were 10 years old?
- Anything cheese related, but probably Cheeto Puffs. Favorite TV show was Lizzy McGuire!
If you could have one superpower, what would it be? (And of course, why?)
- I would love to be able to read peoples’ minds. It would probably get me into some trouble, but I like to know what people are thinking!
Do you have a hidden talent?
- Not sure if it’s hidden, but I have a weird knack for being able to memorize song lyrics very quickly.
If Hollywood made a movie about your life, who would you like to see cast as you?
- Mindy Kaling
- “Happiness can be found, even in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.” - Albus Dumbledore
Favorite vacation spot?
- Anywhere with a pretty beach, clear water, and the sun!
Fill in the blank: I once ________.
- I once went snorkeling in the Indian Ocean off the coast of Africa.
In five words (or less) what advice would you give someone in your profession?
- Take notes and pay attention.
If you could live in any decade, what would it be? Why?
- I think I would like to live through the 90s as an adult, instead of as a young child, which is my only 90s experience.
If you could only wear one color for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- Black...I’m boring.
You’re stranded on a deserted island and can only have three items with you. What would they be?
- My Bible, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (the book), and a Brita pitcher for water filtration.
Heather joined Primitive Social in December 2016 as Inbound Marketing Manager, bringing with her over 10 years of experience. Heather holds a Bachelor’s degree in Communications and Media Arts and a Master’s degree in Business Administration with a specialization in Marketing. Heather resides in Colorado and uses her spare time to hike with her dog, spend time with family, or travel to new places.